Firm: Alexander Degance Barnett, P.A.
Location: Jacksonville - FL
1500 Riverside Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Tel : 904.345.3278
- Fax : 904.345.3294
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Represents educational institutions in the defense of personal injury claims by students and visitors.
Represents educational institutions in student and faculty grievance issues, matters involving student disabilities and academic accommodations, Title IX investigation and compliance, financial aid compliance under Title IV, accreditation and licensing issues, and complaints arising under the Civil Rights Act (CRA) of 1964, as well as compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965.
Michelle, a natural problem solver, has extensive experience representing employers, executives, and educational institutions, both inside and outside the courtroom.
Assists clients with day-to-day advice and counsel on matters such as employee hiring, employee discipline and terminations, reductions in force, non-compete agreements, executive employment issues, wage and hour issues, employment handbooks, policies and training.
Provides advice and counsel to clients regarding Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other federal and state wrongful discharge, tort and contract laws.
Assists health care clients in all aspects of employment, human resources and labor relations, including the negotiation of employment contracts and physician associations by drawing on an in-depth knowledge of general employment laws, particularly those that apply to health care facilities and physicians.
Represents health care providers in federal and state courts, as well as in administrative hearings, including employee or physician disciplinary issues, grievances and the hiring or firing of employees.
Uses fluency in Spanish in assisting foreign and domestic clients in handling cross–border issues including compliance with domestic and international laws.
Assists foreign and domestic clients with conducting workplace investigations, reviewing employment contracts, handling immigration issues and conducting workplace training.
Representation of clients reaches internationally, including contacts with local counsel throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient of Jacksonville Bar Association Professionalism Award 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2016
- Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2012
- Florida Legal Elite Up & Comer, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Co-Editor of the 2010 Chamber of Commerce Handbook on Florida Model Policies and Forms for Florida Employers
- OSHA General Industries Certification
- Pro Bono All Star, Holland & Knight, 2007, 2008
- Chief Justice, Vanderbilt Moot Court Board, 2003-2004
- Phi Delta Phi Honor Society
- Vanderbilt Law School Mock Trial Team Member
Alexander Degance Barnett, P.A.
We have extensive experience representing educational institutions and have in-depth knowledge of the unique issues that face these organizations, including:
- Governance matters, faculty issues, shared governance, tenure issues, questions of academic freedom, employment issues, student claims and a host of other claims and issues facing educational institutions;
- Advice, counsel and litigation of claims arising out of disabilities and accommodations, both by students as well as by faculty, staff and employees;
- Litigation of disputes with vendors to educational institutions, particularly those vendors that provide educational products or services;
- Gender equity claims under Title IX as well as claims for sex discrimination or sexual harassment;
- Response to charges filed with the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights;
- Student privacy issues, including questions related to obligations under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA);
- Student and faculty discipline issues;
- Study abroad issues; and
- Student and faculty immigration issues.