Firm: Belkowitz Law, PLLC
Location: Fairfax - VA
10427 North Street, Suite 200
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Tel : (434) 660-4707
- Fax : N/A
- Email : email@example.com
Melissa Waugh is a skilled attorney and exclusively practices special education law. Melissa represents parents at IEP meetings, in mediation, with state and federal litigation, in due process hearings, and in federal appeals.
Melissa represents families in special education law matters arising under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, including eligibility, placement, IEP and private placement.
Melissa and her husband, Lt. Col. Bryan “Marty” Waugh (Ret.), are the parents of two amazing children who happen to have special needs. After adopting their children from foster care in 2010 and being exposed for the first time to special education and IEPs, Melissa quickly realized how complicated this area of the law is and the dire need for more attorneys representing the interests of parents of children with disabilities in our schools. Melissa and her family live in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Melissa graduated cum laude from the University of North Texas with a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences with a focus in biology, chemistry, and physics. Melissa received her Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Houston Law Center. While attending law school, Melissa served on the Houston Journal of International Law as Articles Editor, the Student Bar Association as 1st Vice President & Section Representative, the Honor Court as a Justice, the Health Law Organization, and the Public Interest Law Organization. Ms. Waugh also won first place in the Tom Newhouse Mediation Competition. Melissa also holds a Master of Public Health degree from the University of Texas-Health Science Center.
- University of Texas-Health Science Center, M.P.H., 2007
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2000
- University of North Texas, B.A.A.S., cum laude, 1994
- Articles Editor, Houston Journal of International Law, 1999-2000
- First Place, Tom Newhouse Mediation Competition, 1998
- Recipient, General Motors Spirit Award, University of North Texas
Belkowitz Law PLLC
Belkowitz Law, PLLC can help ensure that your child with special needs receives the free appropriate public education guaranteed by law.
We represent families in special education matters to protect their children’s rights under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Special Education Eligibility
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) Eligibility Hearings
- 504 Plans
- School Placement Determinations
- Manifestation Determination Review
- Due Process Rights Protection
- School Discipline Proceedings
- Suspensions and Expulsions